Under even the best of circumstances, the coronavirus outbreak has wreaked havoc upon societies and economies. In places already beset with other crises, however, it has the potential to do untold damage. Countries across the Arab region in particular face numerous challenges – from climate change to armed conflict. The pandemic has made life even more complicated. While calls for a global ceasefire have attempted to consolidate efforts towards fighting the virus, responses have been insufficient. This Strategic Conversation with Deputy Director ad interim and Senior Strategic Advisor of UNDP’s Regional Bureau for Arab States Adel Abdellatif will look at the effects of COVID-19 on the Arab region and reflect on attempts to curtail conflict.
This new Strategic Conversations series invites key policymakers to share their views on a range of important and strategically relevant issues through interviews with senior thinkers on the Friends of Europe team.
Follow the conversation online here or via our Facebook page.
- “International cooperation: nothing will be like before, but let’s start building the ‘after’” by Giampaolo Silvestri
- “Has globalisation gone too far, or have we fallen behind?” by Katarzyna Nawrot
- Event report “Agenda 2030: unleashing the potential of women entrepreneurs”
Our events include photos, audio and video recording that we might use for promotional purposes. By registering, you give your permission to use your image. Should you have any questions, please contact us.
- How has the COVID-19 outbreak compounded crises in the Arab region?
- What key factors have foiled attempts to reach a global ceasefire?
- What might the Arab region’s post-pandemic future look like?
Deputy Director ad interim and Senior Strategic Advisor of UNDP’s Regional Bureau for Arab States
Managing Director at New Horizons Project
Adel Abdellatif coordinates the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) work across 16 countries in the Arab region. In this capacity, he leads implementation of Agenda 2030 in the region and advises on strategic priorities both regionally and nationally. He also oversees UNDP’s flagship Arab Human Development Report, including the 2016 edition ‘Youth and the prospects for human development in a changing reality’. Prior to joining UNDP, Abdellatif worked for two decades in the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, earning the rank of Ambassador.
- By Chris Kremidas Courtney
- By Jamie Shea
- By Hannah Scheuermann & Birte Brecht-Drouart
- Eye on the Geopolitical Ball
- Area of Expertise
- Peace, Security & Defence
Next event in person
- Area of Expertise