Friends of Europe is a leading think tank that connects people, stimulates debate and triggers change to create a more inclusive, sustainable and forward-looking Europe.
Friends of Europe is recruiting a Communications Assistant for a (modestly) paid internship, to provide support to its Communications Team.
This is a great opportunity to understand the workings of an independent, influential think-tank and develop your skills and experience. You will gain an understanding of different communications tools and policy areas, whilst gaining greater in-depth knowledge and expertise in the field. This is an opportunity for self-development and learning and a chance to contribute to the dissemination of information through social media and other communication channels.
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY INTERNSHIP?
At Friends of Europe, we see traineeships as a way of combining initial full-time work experience with hands-on training, and that’s why our internships are for people who have recently graduated and are eager to acquire a first work experience. The internship is for a six-month period.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
- Researching topics, authors and themes for articles
- Editing for in-house and external publications (articles, reports, etc)
- Creating and scheduling content for Friends of Europe’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Live-tweeting at events
- Assisting in uploading content to the Friends of Europe website
- Monitoring the organisation’s online performance and assisting in reporting
- Providing media relations support
- Monitoring and reporting media coverage
- Conducting administrative tasks such as managing correspondence and our database
- Researching EU and global policy challenges
- Additional tasks as needed in support of the organisation
WHAT SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED TO HAVE?
Education & Experience
- Relevant university degree (for example relating to communications, creative writing, journalism)
- Research experience combined with good analytical skills
- Experience in editing English texts
Knowledge & skills
- Fluent English required – native-level fluency is a must, both written and spoken (lesser levels need not apply).
- Excellent knowledge of social media networks as well as social media management tools and analytics
- Knowledge of and interest in European and global affairs
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Added bonus: Skills in graphic design/video editing or WordPress are a plus
- A highly motivated personality, hands-on and well-organised
- ‘Can do’ / ‘solution-oriented’ mentality
- A drive to take initiative and go beyond a to-do list
- Ability to work fast, accurately, and with minimal supervision
- Being able to meet deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
- Having a particular interest in working for a think-tank
- Flexibility when having to work at morning & evening events
- Creativity and interest to keep up with social media trends and worldwide events
WHO CAN APPLY?
This position is open only
- to nationals of EU/EEA member states (the EEA includes EU countries + also Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway + as part of the single market also Switzerland) and to non-EU/EEA nationals already in possession of a card F or F+ (issued by Belgium).
- to fluent English speaking and writing candidates having native-level fluency, so lesser levels need not apply.
- to candidates who have recently graduated and are eager to acquire a first work experience.
Friends of Europe values diversity and inclusion. As such, members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The paid internship is for a six-month period and based in Brussels starting in September 2020.
To apply, please send:
- your CV (1-page maximum)
- a cover letter (1-page maximum)
- if possible, an example of your writing or social media work
to email@example.com, indicating the following reference in the email’s subject line: “your name IN CAPITALS + COMMS intern”
The closing date for applications is Thursday August 6, 2020 at midnight (CET)
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.