Friends of Europe is a leading think tank that connects people, stimulates debate and triggers change to create a more inclusive, sustainable and forward-looking Europe.
Friends of Europe is recruiting a Communications Assistant for a (modestly) paid internship, to provide support to its Communications Team.
This is a great opportunity to understand the workings of an independent, influential think-tank and develop your skills and experience. You will gain an understanding of different communications tools and policy areas, whilst gaining greater in-depth knowledge and expertise in the field. This is an opportunity for self-development and learning and a chance to contribute to the dissemination of information through social media and other communication channels.
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY INTERNSHIP?
At Friends of Europe, we see traineeships as a way of combining initial full-time work experience with hands-on training, and that’s why our internships are for people who have recently graduated and are eager to acquire a first work experience. The internship is for a six-month period.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
- Researching topics, authors and themes for articles
- Editing for in-house and external publications (articles, reports, etc)
- Creating and scheduling content for Friends of Europe’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Live-tweeting at events
- Assisting in uploading content to the Friends of Europe website
- Monitoring the organisation’s online performance and assisting in reporting
- Providing media relations support
- Monitoring and reporting media coverage
- Conducting administrative tasks such as managing correspondence and our database
- Researching EU and global policy challenges
- Additional tasks as needed in support of the organisation
WHAT SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED TO HAVE?
Education & Experience
- Relevant university degree (for example relating to communications, creative writing, journalism)
- Research experience combined with good analytical skills
- Experience in editing English texts
Knowledge & skills
- Fluent English required – native-level fluency is a must, both written and spoken (lesser levels need not apply).
- Excellent knowledge of social media networks as well as social media management tools and analytics
- Knowledge of and interest in European and global affairs
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Added bonus: Skills in graphic design/video editing or WordPress are a plus
- A highly motivated personality, hands-on and well-organised
- ‘Can do’ / ‘solution-oriented’ mentality
- A drive to take initiative and go beyond a to-do list
- Ability to work fast, accurately, and with minimal supervision
- Being able to meet deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
- Having a particular interest in working for a think-tank
- Flexibility when having to work at morning & evening events
- Creativity and interest to keep up with social media trends and worldwide events
WHO CAN APPLY?
This position is open only
- to nationals of EU/EEA member states (the EEA includes EU countries + also Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway + as part of the single market also Switzerland) and to non-EU/EEA nationals already in possession of a card F or F+ (issued by Belgium).
- to fluent English speaking and writing candidates having native-level fluency, so lesser levels need not apply.
- to candidates who have recently graduated and are eager to acquire a first work experience.
Friends of Europe values diversity and inclusion. As such, members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The paid internship is for a six-month period and based in Brussels starting in May/June 2020.
To apply, please send:
- your CV (1-page maximum)
- a cover letter (1-page maximum)
- if possible, an example of your writing or social media work
to email@example.com, indicating the following reference in the email’s subject line:
“your name IN CAPITALS + COMMS intern”The closing date for applications is 09 May 2021at midnight (CET)
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.