From the security situation in Europe’s neighbourhoods to France’s role in the future of European defence, Friends of Europe has covered a wide range of topics related to peace, security and defence this year.
This autumn, we organised Debating Security Plus, a global online brainstorm that yields concrete results, and published a report on Germany’s security options and challenges. Topics related to peace and security were also featured in our annual flagship event State of Europe, which brings together over 150 high-level speakers and guests. We also launched a global video competition for a safer world, hosted our annual Security Summit and discussed the situation in Western Balkans.
In case you missed some of our work on these areas, here are our team’s top picks from the past year.
- Debating Security Plus ‒ 10 recommendations addressing shifts in security thinking
- Jumping over its shadow ‒ Germany and the future of European defence, by Paul Taylor
- Crunch time ‒ France and the future of European defence, by Paul Taylor
- How medical diagnostics can help react to hybrid threats, by Christopher Kremidas Courtney
- Biggest is not necessarily best, by David A. Andelman
- Peace is the ultimate goal of conflict – and cooperation is the key, by Michael C. Ryan
- Why can't Europe take care of its own defence?
- Should Germany play a bigger role in European defence?
- What happens after ISIS falls?
IMAGE CREDIT: Kasia Bialasiewicz/Bigstock