Cooperation between Asia and Europe is becoming increasingly important, as the United States retreats from the global stage. And we shouldn’t forget the ties between Europe and Africa either: the Joint Africa-EU Strategy turns ten this year.
Asia and Africa have also been highlighted in Friends of Europe's activities this year. We celebrated ASEAN turning 50, held our annual EU-China Forum and discussed the role tourism plays in EU-China relations. We published a comprehensive report on EU-Africa relations, discussed the future of the two continents with a high-level advisory group and welcomed several high-level speakers and guests, including a Nobel Peace Prize Winner, to discuss the challenges and opportunities for Africa.
Do you want to learn more about our work on development, Asia and Africa? Below a list of suggestions to get you started.
- International development and the digital age
- Development and security - investing in people, peace and prosperity
- EU-Africa relations: strategies for a renewed partnership
- The new logic of China's global influence, by Chunrong Liu
- Africa's rapid urbanisation can drive development and growth, by Joan Clos
- From development aid to partnership programmes and job creation, by Giampaolo Silvestri and Maria Laura Conte
- Will China be the most powerful country on Earth by 2050?
- Can immigration defuse Europe’s demographic time bomb?
- Is Western geopolitics to blame for the refugee crisis?
IMAGE CREDIT: CC/Flickr – Stars Foundation